Sunday, March 19, 2006

Eye of the Wolf - Chunk One

Please respond to each of these questions. Remember that your comments will be viewed by others, so try to use correct spelling and grammar at all times. Start your post by writing your code number.

1. What is believable or not believable about the description of life in Chandra's village? Does it remind you of anything you've read or seen or anywhere else?

2. In an effort to save electricity , each household is only allowed two hours of power for lights and cooking each night, and they have no running water. Why would this be enough or not enough energy for your household?

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

107884-I believe the part about the schools closing down because obviously, if the weather is bad (even now and at Hillcrest) the school close for a day, but if the weather is that bad, then it would be possible that the schools would close. I also believed that you would have to go to take a shower on 'shower night' and that you only get 2 hours of power. I don't think I don't believe anything in the discription of village, except for that the schools would close because of the weather, but the building where Chandra goes to do her Phase10 exam didn't close. I guess it's because it's not the Governing Corporations has nothing to do with it.
2) This would definitely not be enough for my household because, first of all, I am known to wash my hands everyday at lunch before eating my lunch. So, if I were to come home and not be able to wash my hands, I would be really discusted. I guess I would be able to get hand sanitizer, but I don't think I would want to go to the store and get alot since our family wouldn't have that much money to spend, after spending it on food and necessary items. Also, my brother is scared of the dark, so if the lights went off during the night, when he's still awake, he would be terrified. Another thing would be that we would have to cook the ration of food that we got that day , but if we're not there at the moment and if we come back when the power's off, then we would have to eat it cold. No offense to people who like to eat cold foods, but I personally wouldn't want to after being out in the cold... to be continued...

March 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

71688: I think that the the new "Ice age" is belivable becuase they have many descriptions and this story setting is around 100-200 years in the futur. It is hard form me to believe that the scientists did not notice the durastic climate change that went from Global warming to becoming very cold and they did not say anything or worry about it. Also I do not beleive that from them power is an issue because why can't they retrieve them from other countries???As well Chandra's mother has a car " Crawler" and she has gaz to fuel it, but only 2 hours of power.

March 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

72082
1.The things that are not believeable are that EVERYTHING is covered in snow and ice and that they travel in floaters or snow crawlers, because it's hard to believe something that hasn't been invented yet. It's also hard to believe that they can only receive one shower a week and that they have a certain amount of power and food they can use a day. The thing that is believeable are that because everything is covered in snow and ice they have to enter their houses through their roofs. It reminds me of the movies Ice Age and the day after tommorow because EVERYTHING is covered in snow or ice.

March 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

71688: NO. My family takes showers very frequently and it would be gros if we could only have showers and get clean once a week!! Even worse we would have to go to a community place and that would be gros. As for lights that would not be so much of a big deal. We are very busy and always turn off the lights when they are not needed and we have sunlight that shines threw the windows.Power for other tools such as televisons and computers, well a very moderen family could probably could not live with out them, like my family. But if we had to get rid of them to safe power then we could.

March 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

72082
2.This would be tons of electricity for my house for cooking meals because we only cook really around dinner time and not for lunches or breakfasts. But, it would be hard on everyone in our family because the food wouldn't be able to keep fresh and we probably wouldn't have as much different food choices and wouldn't have as much food to eat. Also, my sibling would HATE that there was no running water in the house and you only get one shower per week.

March 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

73363
1)I think that Chandra's village is believable because the village would probably look like what your street you life on looks like. Accept there would be tons and tons of snow, no paved roads, and there would not be any nature/ wild life,(ex. trees, animals).
Chandra's village really doesn't remind me of anything I've read or seen anywhere else.

2)With only two hours of electrictity per household per day, I don't think it would be enough for my family, because we usually use the stove and microwave a lot to make our food. And since my family has 5 people, and almost everybody in my family takes like 20 minutes to take a shower, there wouldn't be enough time and electricity to lete everybody have a proper shower. I think if my household only had 2 hours of electricity per day, I wouldn't like it all because I love to read, and I usually at least read 30 minutes and sometimes more, so it would be pretty hard on me.

April 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

71094
1) I think that Chandra's village is very belivable, because that is probably what would happen during an ice age. It's very possible that schools would close down to save money and almost defenitly food and electricity woulld have to be rationned because that is what happened in WWI and WWII. I agree with 107884 that it's strange that schools closed but religious palces like sacred spaces doesn't have to close.

April 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

71094
Note to everyone. Read the author's note at the start of the book because it clears up some stuff that you're not understanding judging by your answers. :)

April 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

71222-
1. I think it is absolutley believable that the schools would have to close because on our typical snow day the schools clos due to at least 30 cm of snow but in the book the whol village and region is burried in 25 feet on snow!!!That is way more than our typical snow day. Another thing I beleive is that the food rations are very slim and there is very much pleasant food to eat because of the severe weather no food could have possibly been transported from the south fast and the food must be able to be preserved to eat later on.This remind me of the movie the Day After Tommorow because in that movie the whole town of New York is hit by an extreme cold front and around 20 feet of snow also there was a wolf cub chasing after three people trying to take shelter from the storm. I see a few similairities

2.No this would not be enough for our household because in my housewe always have at least one light on unless we are sleeping but it is still around 12 hours during the day and we use alsot of water, for instant after sports I have to have a shower and then I usually have to drink lots and lots of glasses of water. Also the dishes, which I know happens at least twice a day at our house. Finally the food wouldn't be very tasty because there would be no power to cook the food or even heat it so it would at least be a little bit warm

April 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

106947- Yes I do believe that there could be an Iceage in our future. It's hard to believe that the school's would close completely close down since at Hillcrest the most it would be closed down due to weather is 1 or 2 days. But if we did have an Iceage it's very believabe that the schools would close. it's very believale about the food because with an Iceage you wouldn't be able to have the food we have. It'd be way to cold.
I found it hard to believe that the scientists didn't really notice the huge climate change. I think they would of said something about it.But Chandra'a village and home is very believabe.
I agree with everything 71094 said.

The amount of electricity that Chandra's household has to deal with would shock my family. I have a pretty big family and in our house the heater or air conditioning is on. We like to flush the toilet have we've gone to the washroom as well so not being able to do that would be stinky! My dad also likes to blast music on the house. Without the electricity there would be no music. Silence most of the time, probably.
My family also likes to take showers and then blowdry their hair and what not. Two hours to do that would not be enough for me and my mom! Without light my sister would be freaked out at night. She's very scared of the dark. Although I'm sure she'd get used to it. Like I'm sure me and my mom could cut our shower time down a bit. But it would definitly be a challange.

April 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

74809
I think that if they were closing the schools it would be natural beacause of the weather and I basically agree with 107884. But some things are preety hard to believe like the "Caribou Project", and other things. And the village itself is quite different from cities and I've never heard of anything like it.
And the spirit walkers seem to be a little to worried about nature and life. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
2)The amount of electricity in the village wouldn't be enough for me, because I like to play my game cube and on the internet for more than 2 hours throughout the day. And also why can't we have that much electricity anyways? If I had to live like that I'd try to sneak across the border even if I did get shot.

April 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

71244
1) I don't think anything is believable in Chandra's village because our lives are so different from it. I think it is reasonable for people to only get 2 hours of electricity a day if the world is so short on energy, realistically how much energy do people need if they are only needing to cook or turn on the lights for a couple of minutes. People in Chandra's time do not have the luxury of T.V. or the computer so, I don't think they would require that much energy to survive.

What i do not think is reasonable, is the public showers, that is DISGUSTING! People should be able to shower everyday in private. People should have the option of using there two hours of energy a day to take a shower in their own home.

April 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

71094
1. continued = one place that Riverside reminds me of is the planet Hoth in Star Wars, Episode Five, The Empire Strikes Back. Hoth is a planet that is covered in snow and ice and is frigid cold.The only building there is the rebel base but only at little bit appears above the ground. That is how I imagine Riverside to be like, everything is buried by the snow, like on Hoth. (you can search on google images for pictures of Hoth if you don't know what I'm talking about.

April 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

71244
2.)
I do not think 2 hours of electricity would be enough for my household. We have been exposed to all of the technology such as video games, television and computers, we wouldn't be able to survive without them, we depend on them to stay updated, and to communicate. We would have alot of trouble cooking without running water and electricity because some of the meals my family eats takes longer than two hours to cook.

April 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

71279-1. In Chandra's village, it is beleivable that they would have to cut holes in their roofs to get out if the snow was that high. Also that they would be shutting down schools because the weather had gotten so bad. Although, I find that it is unbeleivable that through all the cold and limited power and food, so many of the villagers still are living there. If it were me, I would have left by now, especially if I had a crawler (car).
2. This would be way to little for my household. I'm sure we'ed adapt to it eventually, but currently we each take daily showers, wash hands alot water plants, do dishes,ect. And, electricity wise, we're always on some sort of electronic amusement device, and use the fridge, stove, heating, and airconditioning, alot. therefor, we'ed needalot more than that.

May 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home